Thursday, January 27, 2011

The friend that wasn't...

Sorry for venting so much - I promise, more pictures of adorable babies once we get them into the house this weekend! But for now:

A few months ago, I wrote about my ex-best friend.  A few days ago, a friend of mine (who doesn't read the blog...which, on a side note, is actually kind of nice because she's one of the few people who can listen to a story without saying, "oh yeah, you mentioned that on the blog..."...though I like when people read too...but back to the point) ... this friend asked me if the xbf had called or seen the babies since they were born, assuming, as many had, that once the babies were actually here, she would break through her resolution to not support my having them.  Of course, these friends are unaware that Joe has forbidden me from ever letting the woman within 100 feet of the babies, arguing that if she didn't approve of them in utero, we don't want her around them now.  Good point.

Anyway, the question got me thinking.  Back when we were friends (or at least when I thought we were friends), I was a Mac person (as I always have been) and she was a PC.  She would tease me about my Macs and say that she'd never switch.  I got an iPhone 3 years ago and she complained that I sent her an email with the "-Sent from my iPhone" standard closing on it, saying that it was just my way of showing off and who needed an iPhone anyway, they were so pretentious.

Now she owns two MacBooks, two iPhones, an iPad and god-knows-how-many iPods in assorted colors.  But never did she apologize for denigrating my tech choices over the years.

When she was still posting recipes and pictures to MySpace and the rest of us had migrated to FaceBook, she said she just "couldn't get into" Facebook and didn't see what the big deal was.  Then one day she was all over FaceBook, and, as we know, she let me know our friendship was over by callously "defriending" me via the social network.

Throughout the first  eight and a half years we were friends, I talked often of Broadway shows I was going to see, wanted to see, had enjoyed in the past.  Her responses mostly centered around the time she'd spent seeing shows in New York as a child.  During that time I'd only known her to go see one show, Beauty and the Beast, with her flower girl as a bonding activity during the planning stages of her wedding.  So I sought other folks to accompany me to the shows I wanted to see.

Then Wicked came to town and she became obsessed and now she's friends with legions of theater geeks and buying up tickets to all sorts of shows.

And now, she has a blog!

Just think, if she ever realized that she was actually finding interests in things I've been enjoying for years, maybe she would've found a value to our friendship.

Or maybe she's just a self-centered narcissist (I know it's redundant...it needs to be said twice) - it's a possibility.  Who knows, maybe she'll even read this post...but unlike Carly Simon's lost love, I bet she won't know it's about her...

2 comments:

  1. at this point, i mouth "ouch" into the microphone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you should've seen what I wrote instead of "narcissist" before the self-edit in me took over...

    ReplyDelete