Monday, January 3, 2011

Their first day without me

As anticipated, I had mixed feelings about today.  I got to school and everything seemed normal.  Everyone I met welcomed me back enthusiastically and told me how much I'd been missed.  And yet, school seems to have gone on without me...a little deflating, I have to admit.  Well, maybe not really deflating - I mean, you WANT things to be able to continue in your absence, otherwise you could never leave to do important things like give birth to triplets.  But still, would it have killed them to let everything fall apart just ONCE because I wasn't there?

Anyway.  School went well.  Partially, I'm sure, because the students aren't back yet.  Today and tomorrow are meeting days, which means I got to spend the day being welcomed and quizzed about the babies, which also gave me permission to brag about them all day.  People kept asking if I was missing the babies, and I would respond that (glance at watch) they probably weren't even awake yet.

I kept my phone out in case Joe called with some sort of baby waking/changing/feeding emergency.  But he didn't call.  And when he did, I missed it!  I saw the missed call and quickly excused myself from the meeting to see what he needed.  And guess what?  He was just calling to report that everyone had fed themselves just fine!  Daniel awoke first - at 8:32 - and got a private audience with Daddy for his diaper change and feeding.  Then Max awoke at 9:10, followed by Caroline, who always has been the best sleeper in the bunch.  Everyone was changed, fed, and settled by 10.

So they didn't really need me at home either.  Sigh.

Tom and Carla (known to you as the MBW - Master Baby Wranglers) came over to help with the 1pm feeding.  I'm pretty sure Joe could've handled it on his own, but it's always nicer when you don't have to.  I finished up work and headed out to my car.  At 3:25 I called to say I was on my way home (it takes about 45 minutes door to door), and Joe said the babies had been amazing all day, but Daniel was just starting to get fussy.

When I got home, I found Max up on the changing table, Joe standing next to him.  It seems that Daniel calmed down and Max then got fussy.  Playing, pacifier, and walking/bouncing did not solve the crying, so Joe decided to check his diaper.  He immediately calmed down when he was placed on the changing table, which would seem to indicate the problem had been identified.  But his diaper was spotless.  Nevertheless, he was only happy while he was lying on the changing table, and he held his poor father hostage there until I came home.  I suggested perhaps next time to lay him down on the floor and play with him there.

Tomorrow it is back to the salt mines for me - I have to be a student in a demonstration class for a new instructional method we're learning about and after lunch I have to get a tutorial on the new attendance and grading system everyone's been using for a semester.  Oh, and I have to figure out how to introduce myself to my classes and what to teach this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment