Sunday, November 14, 2010

Trying times

As a teacher I have had more than a handful of students over the years who have failed not for lack of ability but for lack of effort.  And over that time I have become familiar with the feeling that many of these students chose not to try not because they had no interest in Spanish but because, whether it was a conscious decision or not, they felt that there was less shame in failing because they didn't try than there was in trying and coming up short.  And while I recognized that rationalization, I could never quite understand it.  I mean, don't they still know, somewhere deep down, that they could've done better if they'd only put in the effort and doesn't that make the failure twice as hard to take?

The answer - yes.

As some of you may know, I had lofty goals of at least partially breast feeding the Salvateenies.  At the very least I was going to pump enough breast milk to give them all the advantages it's supposed to give them.

I think you can see where this is going.

In the hospital I never really got the time and support I needed to learn how to get my tiny little babies to latch on and suck.  And when I came home it was even harder, so I gave up on that pretty quickly and figured I'd just pump.

Pumping as much as I could find time to, I was only producing about 3 ounces of milk a day, which at the time was enough for each baby to get one feeding of breast milk.  I met with a lactation consultant who told me I needed to be pumping at least 8 times a day for at least 10 minutes each time to try to increase my milk supply.  So I rented the fancy pump she recommended that was supposed to help increase my milk supply and I tried to focus on pumping after each feeding, at least.

Only the babies started growing, and they didn't want to sleep after every feeding.  They wanted to play, and I wanted to play with them.  And when they did sleep after a feeding, I wanted to sleep.  Or take a shower.  Or get a snack.  Or read the paper.

And pumping wasn't going well.  When I did pump, inevitably at least one baby would wake up crying and I would try to lug the pump over to soothe them.  You really have not seen pathetic until you've seen a mother hooked up to a breast pump like a science experiment holding a baby at arm's length because that's the closest they can get without dislodging the tubes, thinking that will soothe the baby at all.  And even then, I never did get more than 3 ounces in a day, and it was depressing.

And so, basically, I stopped trying.  If I didn't strap that pump on, I figured, I couldn't feel bad that its little bottles were empty.  I got down to only getting in two pumps a day.  And that was stupid because it wasn't giving me enough stimulation to increase or even maintain my milk supply and yet it was just enough to make me feel like a failure.

And everybody tells me it's ok - that it was unrealistic to be able to pump enough for all three, and that even with only one baby it just might not have worked out.  And I know that's true, but it doesn't take away the feeling that if I'd just really tried to get those 8 pumps in a day I couldn't have done it.  If I'd just set an alarm or something.  If I'd really WANTED to, I would have made it work, right?  And if I'd tried, I could have done it, right? And it would've worked.  So I feel like a double failure.

Maybe it's just maternal hormones that somehow get secreted and make you feel like you're just not quite doing enough, or if you are, you're just not doing it well enough.  Yeah, that's it.  I'll blame hormones.  That way, I can blame myself, but it's a part of myself I can't control so it'll make me feel better.

Won't it?

4 comments:

  1. Ms. Savateenie, I only had one baby at at time but with my first, I let him suck his little life away and he never was satisfied by my milk supply. So i pumped to increase. And it made no difference. The most I would do was 4 ounces at a time. I had to supplement with formula and I saw how much happier and satisfied he was. I am not comparing myself to you, because you have 3x the work, but I want you to know that sometimes milk supply is just not ever going to increase no matter how hard you pump or let them latch. The lactation experts and societial standards make us feel like "less" of a mother for not being able to produce enough milk. Let me tell you--- I had the pump hooked up to me so many times/day until my nipples cracked and bled to try to make more milk and it never made a hill of beans difference! Just do what's right for YOU and YOUR kids. Not what's right by society's standards. You are not a failure. How dare our milk supply or lack thereof be made to make you feel like one. Best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Edith: Welcome to motherhood - where you will always be inclined to blame yourself for every little thing that goes wrong (or even seems to) in the lives of your little ones. When I was 'interviewing' pediatricians before my daughter was born, there was one whose words stayed with me forever - "Our job as parents is to give them roots and wings, to keep our eye on the big picture, and not sweat the small stuff." It may seem monumental right now, but believe me, the breast v. bottle matter is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty insignificant. You are obviously doing a fabulous job with your brood, they are thriving, and what more could you ask? Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have said it better myself. You've already wasted enough time fretting over it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know this: There are MANY MANY women with newborns (most of them with a singleton) who spend hours and hours crying over their inability to produce enough breast milk. You are in very good company. And I was one of them.

    If a Mom is not producing enough, she needs to be on a strict pumping schedule (nightmare, I know) for the first two or three weeks so that her milk production can kick in to where it should. EVEN WITH ONE CHILD, that is seriously seriously hard. I can't even imagine HOW you would do it with 3 babies, even if you tried harder than you already did (and it sounds as though you were very conscientious about it as it was).

    Please don't spend a single minute worrying about this. You are doing a heroic job being a great Mom to 3 little ones. That is incredible in and of itself. It takes so much out of you, and you are constantly giving so much.

    In about 8 months, this won't even cross your mind, because they'll be eating solids! Please take good care of yourself, and know that you are doing an amazing job as it is. You sound like a wonderful mother, and the kids are very lucky to have you.

    *hugs*

    p.s. consider joining Golden Gate Mothers Group. Well worth the membership fee. Tons of support from over 4,000 Moms!

    ReplyDelete