Monday, November 1, 2010

Big Moments in Salvatore History

First off, I know Salvatore doesn't sound like a Jewish name (because it isn't) -- and my maiden name, Kelly, doesn't either (because it's not).  But I'm still a Jewish girl, granddaughter of an orthodox rabbi.  And now the Salvateenies have joined that lineage.

On Friday we had a bris for the boys, and not to let Caroline feel left out, we had a naming ceremony with a ceremonial foot washing for her.  I know, doesn't seem fair, does it?  Daniel and Max get circumcised ... in public, no less ... and she gets her feet washed.  Just the first in many situations that will favor the princess, I fear. 

In Jewish tradition, all boys should be circumcised on the eighth day after birth.  At that point in the Salvateenies' life, they were still super-tiny and three weeks "preemie", so we elected to wait a while until they were more traditionally "newborn" in size.  It was a small ceremony at our home with family and some friends who could understand and appreciate the importance of the ceremony.  Sadly, Joe's parents were under the weather and weren't able to join us, but they were with us in spirit (and were ably represented by Aunt Mary and Uncle David).    

Let me tell you, getting the house ready for a party - even one with only twenty attendees - with six-week old triplets in the house is NOT easy.  In fact, I can't take ANY of the credit for it.  I was totally unprepared.  On Thursday, we had professional cleaners come in and scrub the place so it would shine.  On Friday, my mother and aunt (who came all the way from Atlanta to be with us) picked up cakes, platters of nibbles, challah, and wine and Jayanthi brought us beverages.  We asked a friend to video and another to take pictures (and they agreed).   Luckily, we had candles and candlesticks!  (And we actually did remember to buy some Vaseline to help protect the boys after the fact.)

The ceremony itself was lovely, going off with a few hitches but nothing too bad.  Joe and I shared the stories behind the babies' names:  Daniel (for Joe's uncle) Zachary (suggested by Lee Ann); Max (we'd loved that name since before we were married - but it also honors my Great Grandfather) Anthony (for Joe's Grandmother); Caroline (for my Grandmother) Beth (for my Great Grandmother).  Not to mention the silliness of their initials - Max = MAKS (which is pronounced "max") and realizing Caroline's are "CBS" - with a "K" in there, even if it's not in KCBS order (CBKS is close enough).  We also shared our hopes for the babies in the future.  My aunt lit the candles, my father and brother (the babies' godfather) and Joe's sister (their godmother) all had readings, and many of the guests shared thoughts about the babies and hopes for them in the future.

It was a wonderful evening and one that we were so happy to share.








































3 comments:

  1. i love this post! and the cakes... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok to favor the Princess!!! :) This is a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe in being "half Jewish" - you either are or you aren't. In my case, my mother was raised Jewish and my father converted before they married. I was raised Jewish, and the Salvateenies will be raised Jewish and they can choose what to do with it on their own. :)

    ReplyDelete