Monday, November 1, 2010

More Big Moments in Salvatore History

THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!


As a Giants fan for the past few decades, I really never thought I'd say/type that last line.  Those of you who know me and Joe, or who read this blog (http://salvateenies.blogspot.com/2010/07/at-ballpark.html) know that I have worked for the Giants as an usher since August of 1989.  In 1987, the Giants went to the post-season for the first time since before I was born.  


I attended those games with my father as a fan, sitting in the upper reaches of Center Field's Section 58, under the big "OOO-REE-BAY" sign.  And the Giants lost that series to the Cardinals - no World Series.


My first season working for the Giants, 1989, I worked in Section 22-24 as the team beat the Cubs to move onto their first World Series since a 1962 loss to the Yankees.  On October 17, I was working in the aisle between sections 9 and 11 as the earth shook and Game 3 against the A's was postponed due to the Loma Prieta earthquake, and when play resumed the A's made quick work of the Giants - no World Series victory.


There were other Playoff appearances - '97 against the Marlins (I worked in the Lower Reserved seats down the Left Field Line), 2000 against the Mets, 2003 against the Marlins again - no World Series.


And 2002, I worked in section 116 for the playoffs against the Cardinals and the Series against the Angels and thought that would be the time - and yet, no World Series victory.


This season, I stopped working in mid-July, thanks to my growing belly.  I haven't been to the ballpark since August 12.  This year I watched the Giants defeat the Braves in the NLDS, the Phillies in the NLCS, and, tonight, the Rangers in the World Series - from my couch - with the Salvateenies.


As Brian Wilson struck out Nelson Cruz for the final out of Game 5 I had Max and Caroline on my lap.  I looked over to my left where Joe sat with Daniel in his arms and tears in his eyes.  We joked about it throughout the pennant chase - the team moved into first place the day after the babies were born.  They moved back into first place to stay the day we brought them home from the hospital.  The team was riding an 18-9 record in the "Salvateenie Era" going into the World Series and ended the series 22-10 with the babies' mojo working.  


And now we will definitely never forget the year the San Francisco Giants finally captured a World Series victory.  Many people will remember "where they were when" it happened - in Civic Center Plaza with loads of other San Franciscans, in one of the bars sprinkled around the neighborhood spitting distance from Willie Mays Plaza, maybe even in the stands at the Ballpark in Arlington.  But I think my vantage point, on the couch with my new family, was the best of all. 


Way to Go, Giants.













1 comment:

  1. Giants fans for life, that's for sure.
    So many things to celebrate!
    CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete