Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wiped Out!

The plumber stopped by at a little after 9am today to say that he'd be cutting the drain line and would need to shut off the water (and drains) for 4-6 hours.  Ugh.

So, we hurried to get ready and piled the babies in the car with no real plan in mind.  We stopped at Starbucks to get Joe coffee and lined the babies up as a welcoming committee for the patrons who came in.  We had dressed Caroline in an adorable set of blue and white seersucker overalls and were worried that people would think she was a boy, but the folks who stopped all could tell she had girly curls!  We ran a few errands in the neighborhood, then headed down to buy tons of paper products for the babies' impending first birthday party.  After that, we met Sam and Junior at Target, had lunch (well, the babies did), and headed over to Carter's to see what they had on sale.

While we were wandering around, I noticed someone I recognized.  It was Pablo Sandoval's mom! And there was his dad...and his brother...and I think that's his daughter.  Oh! And there's Pablo!  So I forced Sam and Junior to take their picture with him.



After that we went back to Target to do a little shopping.  We bumped into some of my usher friends from the ballpark, and we felt pretty cool that we got "recognized" in the store the same way Pablo did!

Sam headed home, and we headed back to see how the plumbing work was progressing.  Water was back on, but still no drains! :(  We drove aimlessly down the coast and when we found a parking space on Sloat we decided to take the babies to the zoo!



It was cool and foggy and most of the visitors had left by the time we went in, which seems to have made the animals more friendly.  We saw tons of monkeys playing tag and climbing and jumping (and generally giving the babies terrible ideas of what to do!).

As we walked toward the penguins, I thought I saw a rhino sticking its head out of the door to his enclosure.  I wheeled Caroline over to see, and sure enough, he walked right out to greet her - all the way up to the edge of the railing!



Of course, we were also an attraction at the zoo - one family even asked if we'd pose for a picture for them!  That's right, we're going to be in some tourist's vacation slide show - right between the lemurs and the macaques!  A woman at the penguins asked if the babies were triplets, then asked all the intrusive sorts of questions we're used to - did you do that in vitro? how many tries did it take? are these your only children? are you all done? Then she let us know that she has nine children herself, four of whom are teenagers.  She added, apologetically, that hers had all been separate pregnancies, as if her NINE PREGNANCIES couldn't possibly compare with my one triplet pregnancy.  I was astonished!  Her tone of voice was completely sweet and without malice - she actually meant it!  She was amazed at me, after she'd had NINE SEPARATE PREGNANCIES - and she looked my age! (face it, I could have had nine babies at my age, but if I had, I wouldn't look this age!)

After the zoo, we met Auntie LeeAnn at the Beach Chalet where, for the first time, the babies were NOT on their best behavior.  Everyone was tired and hungry, they squealed and cried and threw things on the floor.  Caroline even threw up on me.  Fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment