Saturday, June 4, 2011

SUMMER TIME!

That's right, as the song goes....SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!

So, how do I celebrate all the time I now have to spend with the babies?  By leaving all day to work at the Giants game, of course!  I do have to say, though, that it is amazing how much MORE adorable they are when you've been missing them all day long.  I'm not sure if it's absence making the heart grow fonder...I mean, it's hard to imagine being fonder of them than I normally am...but there is something about coming home to three happy, smiling babies who just want to play with you and giggle that makes you forget all about the drippy rain delay and lousy 2-1 loss you just stood through.

Plus, when we came home we found the babies all cleaned, fed, and wearing NEW CLOTHES courtesy of Tom & Carla, who had bought them spunky new outfits.  Sadly, I did not snap any photos to show off the outfits in their entireties.  I did, however, catch part of Caroline's cute pink number in these next shots.  She was really enjoying her time in the red exersaucer (we'd kept them quarantined in separate "standing toys" during their protracted illnesses and so they now appear to be re-discovering all the fun they can have in the other ones) and she kept turning around to smile at me.  I finally grabbed my cell phone for these pictures:




This next one was Daniel's version - I think he has a real future in impressionist watercolors, don't you?


He also tried for a self-portrait, but I don't think it does him justice:


And Max was a little far away (and enjoying the jumperoo WAY too much to pose):


For dinner, we slipped them into the new outfits they got from Hartley.  First we picked out a pretty one for Caroline (note the silly curls in her hair - those are from me not smoothing her hair down YESTERDAY when she had her bath!):




Then on to the boys.  This presented a problem, as we had to decide which of the outfits should become Daniel's and which should be Max's (otherwise, how would you know who is who in the pictures?)  Of course, to make it difficult, the designs had BOTH blue and green in them!  I decided Max would get this one, since even though parts of the owls and some of the stars were blue, the green stars and bodies drew my attention more:



The outfit I put Daniel in, it turned out, had monsters all over it - and since Max is the one who makes the monster sounds, this one may transfer to him, so I won't post a close-up of him in it.  Instead, you can see him as he played with Caroline post-bottle:





Meanwhile, Max was taking a mid-bottle nap with Daddy:


In their latest "pattern", the babies have eaten their 8:30/9pm bottle and then sort of goofed around for a bit, then they sit in their bouncy chairs and Caroline smiles and giggles until she's swaddled and it's almost instantly lights out snoring baby for her.  The boys cry and fuss a little while I rock their chairs, and then they settle down too.  The past week, while they've been overcoming colds and suffering through teething I've also given them a little squirt of ibuprofen just before transferring them to their cribs for sleep.

Everything seemed to be following suit tonight, until Daniel decided to pop his eyes open and be just wide awake and hyper.  He was smiling and so cute and just wanted to play.  And I just wanted him to go to sleep.  Not to the extreme of Adam Mansbach's upcoming children's book, but seriously, it was time for him to stop playing and for me to load the dishwasher and get it started, make the formula for tomorrow, make the coffee, and get to bed myself.

But he looked so cute, I felt guilty.  So I had Joe keep an eye on him in the back for a while so I could get everything done and put the other two to bed. Then I collected Daniel and brought him out to the living room to just sit with me in the dark.  After about 3 minutes I heard the big sigh that means they've transitioned to being ready to sleep, so I scooped him up and put him in bed.  As I got to the door, I heard him stir.  As I closed the door, he cried.  As I went back in to soothe him, he giggled.

He giggled.

So I brought him out front, determined that he would sleep.  "I'll just put him in his chair, and if he cries, he cries," I thought.  I decided I'd sit down and import the photos I'd taken and maybe upload them to Facebook.  I put him down.  He started to cry.  I went into the dining room and connected my memory card to the computer.  I opened Facebook and answered a message.  Then I played a word in Scrabble.  Then I imported the photos, then uploaded them to Picasa.  And now I've written this blog entry.  I don't really remember when he stopped crying.  I think it was around the time I plugged the memory card into the computer.  See, Daniel? Mommy was right - it was time to sleep.  You really should just trust me on these things in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment