Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mother of the Year

I have a friend who, instead of beating herself up for the mistakes she makes,  owns them and declares them evidence of her place as "Mother of the Year".

Obviously, I got my first nomination yesterday.

"How?" you ask.  It was actually quite easy!  Yesterday, I took all three babies to Costco.  Not alone, I'm not insane...my brother went with us.  He pushed the boys in the stroller, accepting all of the "ooh! twins!" comments, while I strapped Caroline to me and pushed the shopping cart.  As we walked in they were passing out ads for the big booze and wine sale.  I grabbed one so Caroline would have something to read - vote one for Mother of the Year - have your 9 month old daughter read about the booze sale.

I have never indulged in the little food samples they give away, but I was hungry, so I grabbed one.  It was something called an "uncrustable" that appeared to be a frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  It was awful.  And, apparently, it was messy, though I didn't know it at the time.

In line, I leaned over to smooch Caroline on the top of the head and she pitched forward a little.  My lips came into contact with the back of her head...where her hair was all sticky and matted...and tasted distinctly of grape jelly.

Ewwww....

I dribbled grape jelly on my shirt and Caroline rubbed her hair in it the whole trip.  (or I dribbled it onto Caroline and she rubbed it into my shirt - either way...ewwww)

That's right - Mother of the Year.

1 comment:

  1. I think all of these things are great! :-) You're doing such an amazing job, Edith. Lily wanted to eat last night right when we were having dinner so I put her on the wrap-around "brest friend" boppy-like thing and I wound up spilling pasta on her head and onesie because I wanted to eat, too! My first vote for Mother of the Year I spose!
    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete