Friday, March 4, 2011

Sneaky Babies!

It's been a busy week - so busy that I haven't gotten around to posting about it.  So here it is, all in a jumble.

Last Sunday, I took the babies out on some errands.  First we went to Day One to weigh them.  When I got out alone with all three babies, the boys go in the double stroller and Caroline gets to ride in the Baby Björn since she is the teeniest of the Salvateenies.  This meant that while Daniel would normally go first on the scale, it made the most sense to unload Caroline rather than have to reach around her to handle the boys.  Day One has a really nice weighing/changing station - a big table with two large changing pads that have nice high bumpers around them, so I weighed Caroline (13lbs. 11.6oz. - up nearly two pounds from her 4 month check-up) first and then stashed her on a changing pad while I moved on to the others.  Daniel weighed in at 15lbs. 8.6oz. and Max was hot on his heels at 15lbs. 4.6oz., which makes each of them more than around a pound heavier than all three babies were put together when they were born (that would've been 14lbs 5.6oz. of total baby weight).  It's hard to imagine they were all so tiny once.

While I was weighing the boys, a man came out of a new parents class with a truly tiny baby girl who needed a diaper change.  She was in a little outfit that Caroline had had when she was that size and it was funny to see the two of them lying next to each other like a before and after demonstration.

From Day One, we went across the street to Peet's to pick up some coffee for Joe.  While I was waiting, I pulled out my credit card to pay and Caroline, riding in front, grabbed the card from me:

At least she hasn't gotten her hands on the debit card yet!


From my angle, I thought it was adorable, and it's even cuter as seen from the front, despite the barista's shaky photography.   We then wandered through a couple of baby clothes stores (on a side note, Laurel Village is lousy with baby stuff and coffee shops) and Caroline seemed excited to reach out and touch all the pretty clothes while Max and Daniel fidgeted in their stroller and wondered when they got to leave.  A dynamic sure to repeat itself in the years to come.

Wednesday marked the end of Week 24 of the Salvateenie era.  They have started napping in earnest this past week - going from occasional cat naps during the day a few weeks ago to full-blown swaddle-me-up-and-put-me-in-my-crib naps.  Our "schedule" calls for them to take about 3 hours of naps between their first and third feedings and then stay up all the way until the fourth, but they're still getting sleepy and going down for a nap in their bouncy chairs for an hour or so at night.  And they're still sleeping through the night!  I think all this sleeping indicates they are preparing themselves for another growth spurt.

Max has already burst out of this little outfit!

But it also means that they were tired when it came time to take their Week 24 pictures.  So we decided to pose with everyone in their swaddles:







And then they went back to their chairs and promptly fell asleep:


But I can hear you asking - "What about the title of this blog? I don't hear anything sneaky in these stories..."

Just before I sat down tonight to write this, Joe and I put the babies in their cribs.  They were asleep, but Joe was worried they hadn't fallen into a deep enough sleep to go to their cribs yet.  I was sure they were.  About five minutes after they went down, Joe came from the back of the house to tell me the babies were screaming.  I went back to the nursery and, sure enough, there was a baby yelling at the top of his lungs.  I crept in to figure out which baby it was, trying to decide if I would try to soothe him in the room or take him out to the living room to hug him back to sleep.  But I couldn't find a screamer.  I looked at Max, he was asleep.  Daniel? Asleep.  Caroline? Completely zonked out!

Somebody had faked us out with a cry for help, and then gone to sleep before we got there!  I didn't know if I should be amazed that they fall asleep so quickly, annoyed that they'd made me get up and check on them, or upset that they'd decided they couldn't wait for us to get to them in their moment of need.

In the end, I decided to laugh and title this entry "Sneaky Babies".

And with that, I leave you with a picture of Caroline's growing locks from her most recent bath:


I'm not sure she's a big fan of the mohawk.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm I think Caroline was pretty sneaky swiping that ATM card! You have one of the most amazing set of kids ever! (I know my friend with a matching set lurks, so i must be careful! hee hee)

    ReplyDelete