Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Catching up on some anecdotes

Looking at baby pictures and I said, "aw, Caroline was so cute!"
Caroline looked and me and sang, "I still a-am!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caroline chose my outfit to go out to see a matinee of Company. Shiny top, velvet skirt with beaded fringe, flats.  And she did my make up. And she told me I looked "fabulous". 

Daniel said he didn't like me wearing dark lipstick or "beautiful things". 

And Max opines that I looked "a little bit beautiful and a little bit not beautiful"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caroline discovered my jewelry box, full of all the jewelry I never wear. I told her I was saving it for when she has pierced ears and wears earrings and jewelry.
C: "Maybe when I'm 10?"
Me: "Sure, when you're 10."
C: "and when I'm 10 can I wear these zebra earrings?"
Me: "of course"
C: "can I wear them to my SCHOOL when I'm 10?"
Me: "yes"
C: "I'm SO EXCITED!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You knew it would happen sooner or later - the toilet debacle.  Max flushed an orange down the toilet.  When asked why, he said it was because Daniel put it in there to wash it, but told him not to flush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love that I'm not quite out of the "kids mispronounce things hilariously" stage. One day, Grandma offered to do some quick shopping for us. I asked the kids what to get and put it on the list.
Just now, Max burst into my room announcing, "I know what we forgot to get Grandma to get at the store! Chocolate Gamora bars!" Now, I know he meant granola, but any decent fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy has to giggle just a little at that concept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caroline has a little friend she met at a playground in the neighborhood. We were all invited to her cool bowling birthday party and Caroline continued to show her athletic leanings, coming in with the best score of the five kids she was bowling with.  Sometimes, seriously, I wonder who this little mountain goat is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I was switching stations to find the Giants game, Caroline asked, "Is that hockey? Why do we have hockey on our TV?"
I don't know, Caroline, I don't know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We had a play date planned for one day on the weekend and it fell through, so I thought I'd distract the kids with a plan to go to the Academy of Sciences instead.  Caroline was having NONE of it - if she couldn't have a playdate with her little friend, then nobody was allowed to go anywhere or have ANY fun!
Finally, we got her calmed down and went and, predictably, everyone had a great time.  At one point, when we were in the "tube" surrounded by fish on all sides, the kids were squealing and pointing them out and a young teenage girl grabbed her ears and instinctively shushed them.  They were THAT loud.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Caroline was concerned there's a fly on the ceiling over her bed. I didn't have the energy to chase it out, so I told her I knew him, his name is Ferdinand the Fly, and he's here to make sure they feel safe in their room.
Caroline's mouth fell open and her eyes went wide in disbelief. She told me she wasn't sure that was true, but I swore I'd seen his resume and he'd worked with a lot of families and came very highly recommended. And when she tried to talk to him, I had to explain that Ferdinand is what's known as the strong, silent type.
I can't take full credit for this idea, as I was raised under the watchful eye of Staniel the Spider at Tahoe, who my father (Boppy to our readers) explained he had engaged to make sure we were OK upstairs in our bedroom at Tahoe.
The next day there was another fly, and that one was his cousin, Fernando.  That's how rusty my improv skils are - Ferdinand's cousin is Fernando.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment