Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I need more wood to knock on

Obviously all the bragging I did at the ballpark this weekend about how good the babies are and how solidly they've been sleeping through the night for the past four+ months was just a little too much for the universe to take.

On Sunday night Caroline woke up once screaming and Daddy quieted her down, and later she yelped for Mommy to calm her.  Both times she grabbed hungrily for her pacifier and drifted back to sleep.  She repeated this at about 6:30 in the morning.

Tonight (well, last night, now), she woke screaming at some point after I fell asleep at 11:30, then again at 12:15, and at 12:40.  At that point I brought her to the living room to rock in the glider, not wanting her to wake her brothers.  By 1:00 she seemed deeply asleep so I returned her to bed, climbed back myself, drifted off to sleep, and dreamt of baby cries.

But I wasn't dreaming.

Caroline was up again.  This time I took her to the living room and cuddled on the couch.  It's chilly in the house in the middle of the night and all I had in arm's reach were baby blankets.  I got up to get a grown-up sized blanket and Caroline noticed I was gone and started fussing.  So, back I went with blanket in tow.

She now seems to be solidly asleep, but she's on the couch, where I can't leave her and go back to bed.  If I put her back in her crib, she's likely to wake up again.  My alarm will go off in two and a half hours and I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

So I've busied myself doing what I can that does not require much light or much noise, which led me to a frightening discovery.  During my pregnancy I noticed a certain amount of hair popping out in inappropriate places, like my chin and my neck.  I blamed this on the pregnancy hormones (all the books said I could) and put Joe in charge of doing a periodic inventory to make sure I was not becoming a bearded lady.  Tonight, as I flossed my teeth quietly in the bathroom, I noticed a hair on my neck.  And another on my chin.  Make that three more on my chin ... wait ... four more.

I haven't been pregnant for nearly 7 months now.  The hormones are no longer an excuse.  I have to face it - I'm officially old.

In the future, when Caroline tells me how embarrassing it is for all her friends to see my hairy chin, I think I'll tell her it all started that one night she was teething and wouldn't let me sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment