Saturday, July 21, 2012

A little Houdini in training

The other day at nap time, the Salvateenies were not exactly thrilled to go down.  But they did, and after a while it seemed quiet and so I slipped into the bathroom to shower.  When I got out of the shower, I could hear that Caroline was talking, but she didn't seem upset and they had only been down for about an hour (they usually nap 2-3 hours), so I left her, got dressed, and went into the dining room to sit down at my computer and do some work.

She kept talking, then started whining.  But she was alone in her protesting, so I didn't want to upset her brothers and left her.

Then she started wailing, at which point Max chipped in with staccato "Dad-dee, Dad-dee, Dad-dee" calls.  I was debating whether or not to get up when Caroline abruptly stopped crying.

Then, all of a sudden, Max's voice sounded a little less muffled.

Then I heard what I could swear was the pitter patter of little feet.

And giggling.

And I turned around just in time to see, through the corner of the glass on the dining room door, a completely naked Caroline streaking down the hall.

That's right, she peeled out of her swaddle/sleepsack, took off her shirt, took off her diaper cover, and took off her (luckily CLEAN) diaper, and then climbed out of her crib to freedom.

Once she was out, Max was beside himself that he had been left behind.  I flicked on the lights and walked in, only to realize Daniel was doing his best child's pose, face down and still sleeping.  So I quickly hit the lights again and scooped Max up and out of the room.  I grabbed Caroline and put a diaper on her before anything bad could happen (this did NOT make her happy) and we tried to think of things to do while we waited for Daniel to wake up for lunch.

And I tried REALLY hard not to laugh and in that way encourage Caroline to try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment