Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Caroline Wants a Dog

The Salvateenies have been around dogs exactly three times - at Jonah's birthday party, where they played with the incredibly sweet Chewie, when Lynne and Stretch came to visit just before Christmas, and this past weekend when I took them down to see my friend Pam's family and their two new(ish) dogs, Charley and Milo.  I was a bit concerned letting them loose to play with Charley and Milo, since when they play together, they sometimes forget the concept of "gentle.  Each time they've been around a dog, though, they are suprisingly soft and not at all grabby.

And while they all really liked the dogs and were really good with them, Caroline was in love.  Pam gave Caroline a little bag of goldfish crackers to snack on and Caroline immediately started offering them to Charley, who nibbled them right off her fingers to her delighted giggles.  She walked around following him and by the end of the few hours we'd spent there, she'd already added the word "doggy" to her vocabulary.

Today, after breakfast, I put some Cheerios out on their high chair trays to keep them busy while I changed diapers.  I changed Daniel first, and then put him down on the floor.  He crawled over to Caroline's chair and pulled himself up, reaching for some of the Cheerios on her tray.

And Caroline promptly grabbed a Cheerio and reached down to feed it to him!

I think it might be a sign she wants a dog.

In other news, Max has mastered his "HI!" greeting (probably because he sees how much attention Caroline gets when she says hi).  As I was typing this, he walked up to me and said, "Hi, Edith!" -- still need to break him of THAT!  The other night, he was screaming in protest to having been put to bed.  The screams turned to sobs and I was at the door about to go in when he gulped out, "Waaaa..MOOOM...MEEE" just as I went in the room.  I was a little worried he'd put together the cause and effect and think I'd been waiting outside his room for him to say Mommy so I could go in.  But now that I hear he still calls me "eeedit", I won't worry anymore.

1 comment:

  1. A dog in the future is a GREAT idea. Andy and Alexa haven't known their San Francisco home without one. Maybe I should bring Chyna to visit when I come over! Maybe Alexa and I should walk Chyna over there so that Chyna will be exhausted when we arrive. Or the 'teenies should come visit Chyna and see our redone abode.

    ReplyDelete